You know that feeling when you can’t think of anything good to do and you’re sitting around the house bored, and the easiest thing to do is switch on the TV or a video game or a tablet and stare at the screen for an hour or so? We all have that from time to time right? Well here are some ideas to give you something more interesting to do than staring at a screen.
Did you know that moving and exercise are linked to increased motivation and mood? Interesting huh?! Now, whether you live in a flat, a house, a mansion or a car-park (!), there are ALWAYS things you can do to get moving. Have a look here at some types of movements you can do:
- Get in a crouch position and then try ‘running’ on your hands and feet across the room. See if you can time yourself or get someone else to time you. Can you beat your time? Keep going trying to beat your time over and over until you’ve got the fastest time possible!
- Do you have a staircase in your house or a staircase in your block of flats? Either on your own or with a friend, see how many times you can run up and down the stairs in 5 minutes – it’s harder than you think isn’t it?!
- Where possible get yourself outside. There are tons of games you can play outside, or why not invent your own game?
No matter where you are, there are always things to explore, you may just have to be a bit more creative:
- If you’re inside you could have a look for different patterns, how many can you find? Can you take a picture of each one? If you’ve got a computer you can print them out and make a collage of every different pattern you find.
- Play ‘Hunt and Find’. This game basically involves hunting in corners or areas where you don’t normally look – under sofa cushions, behind sofas, in the very corners of the room, by the radiator pipes, down cracks in the floorboards. Now we don’t know what your house looks like so we’re hoping you can use your imagination too! Make a collection of what you find – how could you present it? In a jar? Drawn on paper? In a plastic specimen bag? Whether it’s a coin, a cool looking piece of fluff or a small toy, you can make a great display or piece of artwork!
- If you’re outside, there are lots of things you can do. Have a look at the trees (without pulling bits off), can you find every part of the tree around you? Find a leaf, a twig, some bark, some moss, some earth etc. You could stick this to a piece of paper to make your own tree design.
The kitchen is definitely a place where you can let your creative juices run wild. See what concoction you can come up with!
- You can do this on your own, with a sibling or with a friend. Have a look in the fridge and the cupboards. How about trying to make a face out of what you find? We’re sure you can come up with lots of ideas, but make sure you show us what you’ve created!
- How about playing ‘Ready, steady, cook?’